Monday, December 21, 2009

On the Ninth Day of Christmas...

I am a list maker. I love lists. I love to write them in my best handwriting on cute paper that I like to buy in abundance. I probably use more time writing my lists than I do accomplishing the items on my lists, but that is beside the point. It helps me clear my mind and focus. Jason makes fun of my lists, and he especially likes to mock the titles that I choose. No good list goes without a good title, underlined twice. I think that he could use a good list now and again.

The following is my "Things to get done before Christmas" list.

1. Deliver our neighbor "homemade hot cocoa" gifts.
2. Deliver cheese balls and crackers to co-workers
3. Take the family to the live Nativity in Lethbridge
4. Plan Christmas 'Eve food, Christmas morning, and Christmas Day dinner (may require another list)
5. Address and send Christmas Cards so that they arrive in 2009
6. Finish buying and wrapping presents
7. Listen to Christmas music at every possible moment
8. Do laundry!!!
9. Clean the house, and then clean it again, and again, and again
10.Take the children sledding
11. Bake Gingerbread men and decorate with the children
12. Try to get up on the roof to plug in the extension cord to the Christmas lights that fell out ...or convince Jason that this isn't as dangerous as it sounds, and see if he will do it
13. Pick up the homemade chocolates we ordered
14. Drink many cans of Diet Coke while trying to stay awake
15. Pick up my "happy pills" at the pharmacy to ensure that the whole family gets to enjoy a Merry Christmas

Well, that is the first of many lists that I will be writing this week. I love this time of year. Some years I feel like doing more than others, but I have learned not to be hard on myself and to only do what I can do. I love that all of my children are together this Christmas and that Scott has arrived safely home from College. I love that he woke Katie up from her nap yesterday to teach her Chinese...and that she didn't kill him. I love that Josh insists on "Family Game Night" and then has a meltdown everytime it doesn't go his way. And I love knowing that my children love this season as much as I do.

Merry Christmas to all!

1 comment:

Denise said...

I love list-making too, and I think that Mark secretly smiles at my idiosyncrasy, as well. My Christmas Countdown list shares many of the same things yours has. I especially relate to items 8 and 14, and wish I could even have a hope of #5. Hope your Christmas was merry!